Today is Shrove Tuesday, the term Shrove Tuesday comes from the fact that Pancakes are associated with the day preceding Lent because they were a way to use up rich foods such as eggs, milk, and sugar, before the fasting season of the 40 days of Lent.
Any excuse to make pancakes in this house is excuse enough for me! The kids and I are big pancake fans, in fact, boy child has been known to eat up to 9 full sized pancakes at one sitting! Now that's pancake love!
While we do love pancakes, I'm a bit ashamed to admit that I'm a Bisquick pancake kinda gal... That was until today! I was always under the impression that making pancakes from scratch was too much work, but let me tell you... Definitely not! I feel like I've wasted perfectly good pancake breakfasts on boxed mixes after today.
Only a few ingredients were required, and they turned out fluffy and delicious, and were quite possibly the best pancakes I've ever had... EVER! And I made them from scratch!! Who woulda thunk it?!
You need to make these!
What you need:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp white sugar
- 2 Tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 2 Tbsp apple sauce
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (optional)
- 1 Tbsp Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (or other desired oil)
What you need to do:
- Mix all dry ingredients in a small bowl
- Mix all wet ingredients in a large bowl
- Stir dry ingredients into wet ingredients until just mixed, batter will be slightly lumpy, don't over mix! Fold in chocolate chips if desired
- Cook on a grill or medium heat pan with coconut oil (or other oil of your choice, however I used Extra Virgin Coconut Oil and it added a great taste!) until golden brown on both sides.
Our Shrove Tuesday lunch consists of three banana pancakes to make up our monkey/dog/bear pancake face (you tell me what it looks like because I'm not sure!), a cheese stick, rice cake crackers, pomegranate, quail eggs, and cucumber all packed in our Easylunchboxes.
Things I used to make this lunch: